Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tattoo Theology

A lot of people have tattoos now a days. They aren't as "alternative" as they use to be. I attribute it to the "Rockstar Mentality" that has swept America and the WORLD(that was said in a movie voice-over voice) I love tattoos, bad ones make me laugh and good ones are truly works of art. I'm not a fan of barbwire or cartoon characters, but realize for some people it works.
I don't prescribe to the "it has to be meaningful philosophy", nor do I think it is a good Idea to randomly get tatted-up. Here are few that I like, more for artistic reasons but none the less, I like them.

I want to get one like the "Tree of Life".
























I'm not into spiders but this might be the best Tattoo ever. It is so realistic.

















And I love the dimensional detail in this Trinity Symbol!















Obviously I don't understand people prescribing to the Levitical law against tattooing. Unless they still follow that diet or clean themselves regularly according to the same guidelines. We need to quit judging people on appearance.(I know I do) I write off people who wear "frat straps" or "croakies," I judge people who I feel aren't as "progressive spiritually" as I am, or dismiss those who don't educate themselves politically. My friends can tell you there are many more shallow examples of my judging the general population. Getting to know people is so much more fun than judging them. Allowing people to be who they are is something more than allowing a behavior or an appearance. It is providing an environment in which they feel safe express themselves. There is a lot of imperfection out there, that flows well below skin deep. A tattoo to me says, "there was a point in my life where I was here, and I chose to remember it this way."

So if I get the guts to get my tattoo one day, feel free to judge, but let me know in a loving way of your disapproval.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this post on judging people. I was thinking of getting one memorializing John Robert but I have no idea what it would look like ... maybe a cross with vines growing on it... original huh. Anyway... I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on that but I'm thinking of it. The spider tattoo was awesome. Beyond the tattoo stuff... the judging stuff... it does cut both ways. Wednesday night we talked about Romans 14 and instead of looking down on others we should lift them up. Your post was a good lift this evening.