Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Firenzie change of pace


All right, we made it... to Florence that is. I love this town it is better than I remembered. We have seen a lot so far and at a very fast pace, so when we got to Florence we decided to sleep in. Sleeping in goes against everything I am when it comes to vacation...wait that is not true at all. Sleeping in makes Erin feel bad it make me feel good. However, we did sleep in and adopted the laid back attitude of the city around us. God has really shown Erin and I that life comes at different paces for everyone. Day to day and person to person, time waits for no-one... we learned that from some sarcastic monks in Rome, no bones about it.

But resting and peace seem to go against that most of the time. We all need to take time to soak up our surroundings, the people around us, and the grace that we've been blessed with. This town moves at a lot of paces one being the Italian pace wake up late and stay up late, the guided group pace- wake up early and move slowly through the city as unit that is impenetrable and impossible to get around soaking up and over paying for everything- and then the back packer pace that is somewhere in between soaking up the moments, sleeping late, taking naps, and displaying too much public affection.

We got to take our pace into the church next door to hear an orchestra/symphony(someone with more knowledge can tell me the difference) until 1030 at night. It was amazing. I didn't nod off or anything. In fact maturity led me to believe I enjoyed. I sat and watched them play and then I would watch Erin watching...that makes me enjoy things so much more. The last piece was riveting we sat and watched waiting for the next surge in musical intensity only to be quietly taken back by the soft flutes and violin. I never would have thought I'd be watching my wife and I enjoy a musical performance miles away from home. It was the perfect ending to an almost perfect day. Sometimes a change of pace, or an experience that isn't typically yours can be quite effective on your life journey. I shared with Erin in her passion and love for music and found a different part of myself and she has become quite the traveler due to a impulsive husband... I say that to say whether changing pace or sharing in someone else's life gets you to grow or see God's world differently I say try it....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jarod loved an orchestra...how the times have changed. I can just see ERin's face. Katelyn got a good report in BR on Friday and IKE chased us home with 50 mph winds all the way back. Biggs had to go to the vet for arthritis; he couldn't walk during Thursday night without wimpering. Got a shot and some meds. He is doing great. We didn't lose power this time; that was a blessing. Got another 2 inches of rain; up to 11 for this month alone. I hope you are having the time of your life. All my heart..........Mom

Kirby said...

Jarod...so good to meet you and Erin on the canyoning adventure. Turner and I hope the rest of your trip is great...and thanks for the photoshop advice!

p.s. to publish the blogs your following go to layout and "add a gadget"...then add the "blog list" gadget and you'll probably figure it out from there. i just found this out...hope it was what you were wondering about.

kirby

Kirby said...

^****you're****