Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"
We just spent our first day in Rome and we walked all over the city. It was "AMAZING" to quote my wife's email to her parents. We started with a simple fountain of Triton followed by the spanish steps and the trevi fountain. We were awed by the Pantheon. The architecture alone was so substantial and intriguing. We had lunch on the river and saw a castle or two. But the Capuchin Monk's Crypt was humbling, sobering, scarey and awesome. Quick background, These monks scammed the people into paying for a holy burrial place that they turned into a masterpeice of art. There medium(or materials for you not familiar with art) was the human bones and remains of the people and monks they had been burrying. I don't have to long for thought so I will leave you with the dead monks quote. And see how you respond. In the midst of bone walls, bone decour, and bone chandeliers read a plaque,"What you are we once were; What we are you soon will be..." Mind blowing for our spiritual walk...sobering and humbling, how about you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am assuming the monk's crypt was as awesome as you imagined. Did you throw your coin into the Treve fountain and pretend you were in the movies on the Spanish steps? I did both.... Is the Vatican tomorrow? Try to go by Peter's jail cell if you can.. it leaves you with a lifelong visual of those chains falling away..(even if it is a hoax) Say hello to the Pieta for Jaymes...so sad I haven't seen it. Be sure and look for Cardinal Sesna on the Last Judgement..tee hee.. I appreciated Michelangelo's humor greatly. I love you.. mom

Anonymous said...

I would love to write something deep and profound in response to the monks' quote, but this is all I've got: Guess what?! It's a girl!!!