Thursday, September 11, 2008

From the Vatican to the What the...


After a Morning of amazement and art history that rocked the world of a girl from Walnut Hill Florida and boy from Monroe La to a St Peter's were the extravagant religious display exceeded our understanding. While the Old testament temple was built to honor God with his glory and extravagance, St Peter's didn't quite ring true for us. It is beautiful and worthy of its prestige; however it seems to speak of the works man. Did Peter really think that centuries later people would be rubbing his toes off in order to get a prayer answered. I think not . Peter would want to step out of the way of the cross that allows grace to flow freely for everyone. I kept thinking about Paul's words "his power is made perfect in my weakness... so for Christ sake I will boast my weakness." I know that God Wants our best and the monuments are great and the excellence is without question, but my gut just felt unsure. I thought of "don't let left hand know what the right is doing..." I say that to say this I spent most of St Peter's listening to casting crowns seeing that God was bigger than our vein efforts to make it about more than his love. I've been all over this amazing city and the magnitude of it humbles me greatly. But Erin and I have realized that God is God even in St Peters, even in the begger without an arm, the Pagan art work, the city of greatness, and the hostel full of crazy youth finding themselves. He isn't bound by our comprehension. He walked this earth and shattered our expectations with incomprehensible grace and love. Our love is growing for each other and the people that God loves. HE is our existence and the amazement, he alone brings glory to himself. And like on this trip I am happy to be experiencing him in new ways. All things to all people means seeing life not our own as one worth saving. And to that all means neccessary should be taken...letting God's glory be shown while we await our reward in another sacred city.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love you both so much ... not only son and daughter but brother and sister forever....mind boggling,,,